Are you a curious, passionate, energetic, and hardworking student studying communications, journalism, video production, marketing or other communication degree? Are you looking for a hands-on learning experience which will help you to further prepare you for an exciting career? Would you enjoy the opportunity to learn about how the sales and creative services team works within a news station, or storytelling and producing newscasts, or Meteorology?
WIAT-TV in Birmingham, Alabama is looking for interns for fall, spring and
summer semesters. The unpaid internship is offered to those currently enrolled in institutions of higher learning and must be receiving college credit. Interns will experience different phases of a television station’s day-to-day operations as a supplement to their academic curriculum.
Internship Areas include:
- Sales / Marketing (Account Executive, Sales Administration, Digital Sales)
- News (Producer, Reporter, Photographer, Editor)
- Digital Media (Writing for web and social media)
- Sports (Producer, Photographer, Reporter)
- Production (Newscast Director, Audio/Camera operator)
- Promotions / Graphics (Commercial Producer, Video Editing)
- Internship schedules will be based on requirements from college or university
- Interns will be well-supervised and participate in a meaningful learning experience
- The internship for semester credit will start in September for fall, January for spring, and May for summer. Duration of internship can be between 12-15 weeks.
- Internship is unpaid.
- Intern is responsible for their own transportation.
Requirements & Skills:
- Entering juniors and seniors studying broadcast journalism, video production, marketing, or other communication degrees
- Internships must be for school credit
- Provide a cover letter that includes: the type of internship/position/department you seek, the semester you’re applying for, what job you are hoping to be hired for after graduation, why are you interested in CBS 42, and why should we choose you as our intern.
- Provide a letter from Professor/Advisor certifying the intern is a junior or senior and will receive academic credit for participating. Email letter to [email protected]
- A collaborative worker with a willingness to learn
- Abide by all safety rules and procedures of the company
- Willing to work mornings, evenings and/or weekends. We will be respectful of your college course schedule.