3 August 2022 – Financial report for the period 1 January 2022 to 30 June 2022
Novo Nordisk’s sales increased by 25% in Danish kroner and by 16% at constant exchange rates to DKK 83.3 billion in the first six months of 2022
- Operating profit increased by 26% in Danish kroner and by 14% at constant exchange rates (CER) to DKK 37.5 billion.
- Sales in International Operations increased by 15% in Danish kroner (10% at CER), and sales in North America Operations increased by 36% in Danish kroner (24% at CER).
- Sales within Diabetes and Obesity care increased by 28% in Danish kroner to DKK 72.7 billion (19% at CER), mainly driven by GLP-1 diabetes sales growth of 57% in Danish kroner (45% at CER). Rare disease sales increased by 6% measured in Danish kroner (unchanged at CER).
- Obesity care sales grew by 99% in Danish Kroner (84% at CER). Novo Nordisk expects to make all Wegovy® dose strengths available in the US towards the end of 2022.
- Within R&D, Novo Nordisk has now successfully completed five phase 3a trials with insulin icodec, a long-acting once-weekly insulin. Based on a recommendation from an independent Data Monitoring Committee following an interim analysis, the SELECT cardiovascular outcomes trial continues in accordance with the trial protocol.
- For the 2022 outlook, sales growth is now expected to be 12-16% at CER and operating profit growth is now expected to be 11-15% at CER. Sales and operating profit growth reported in Danish kroner are now expected to be 9 and 14 percentage points higher than at CER, respectively.
|PROFIT AND LOSS||H1 2022||H1 2021||Growth
|Net profit||27,528||24,746||11%||ON THE|
|Diluted earnings per share (in DKK)||12.08||10.71||13%||ON THE|
* CER: Constant exchange rates (average 2021).
Lars Fruergaard Jørgensen, president and CEO: “We are very pleased with the sales growth in the first half of 2022. The growth is driven by increasing demand for GLP-1 based diabetes treatments, especially Ozempic®. Our obesity treatments are also contributing to growth as more people living with obesity are being treated and the obesity care market continues to expand. The performance in the first six months has enabled us to raise our outlook for the full year.”
On 3 August 2022 at 19.30 CEST, corresponding to 1:30 pm EDT, an earnings call will be held. Investors will be able to listen via a link on novonordisk.com, which can be found innder ‘Investors’.
About Novo Nordisk
Novo Nordisk is a leading global healthcare company, founded in 1923 and headquartered in Denmark. Our purpose is to drive change to defeat diabetes and other serious chronic diseases such as obesity and rare blood and endocrine disorders. We do so by pioneering scientific breakthroughs, expanding access to our medicines and working to prevent and ultimately cure diseases. Novo Nordisk employs about 50,800 people in 80 countries and markets its products in around 170 countries. Novo Nordisk’s B shares are listed on Nasdaq Copenhagen (Novo-B). Its ADRs are listed on the New York Stock Exchange (NVO). For more information, visit novonordisk.com, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube.
|2 November 2022||Financial statement for the first nine months of 2022|
|1 February 2023||Financial statement for 2022|
|Contacts for further information|
|Amber Brown Morley||+45 3079 9289||[email protected]|
|Natalia Salomao Abrahao (US)||+1 848 304 1027||[email protected]|
|Daniel Muusmann Bohsen||+45 3075 2175||[email protected]|
|Ann Søndermølle Rendbæk||+45 3075 2253||[email protected]|
|David Heiberg Landstedt||+45 3077 6915||[email protected]|
|Jacob Martin Wiborg Rode||+45 3075 5956||[email protected]|
|Mark Joseph Root (US)||+1 848 213 3219||[email protected]|
Company announcement No. 62 / 2022